Our client, a leading pharmaceutical company, is hiring a Laboratory Animal Technician on a contract basis.
- High school diploma, or equivalent, required.
- Bachelors or Associates degree, or equivalent, is preferred. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- An AALAS certification of Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) is preferred. However, individuals who do not have their certification must obtain it within 12 months of assignment to this position.
- Relevant experience typically attained with 3 years in a laboratory animal facility or other animal care/husbandry setting is required.
- Experience supporting in vivo research projects and performance of various rodent biomethodologies is strongly preferred.
- Experience providing hands-on teaching and training to others on animal care and technical procedures is strongly preferred.
- The individual will have demonstrated ability to understand and follow SOPs and to perform tasks with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- The individual will have demonstrated ability to follow directions, communicate effectively, and work well in a team environment.
- The individual will have demonstrated the physical stamina and dexterity needed to handle laboratory animals, including species that may be difficult to work with, and the use of personal protective equipment.
- The individual must be proficient in using email, basic Microsoft office applications and department assigned mobile computer devices.
- The individual must have basic knowledge of biology and proper handling of various laboratory animal species.
- The individual must have experience with the use and maintenance of standard equipment within a research-based animal facility.
- Proficiency in various technical procedures including dosing, sample collection, and clinical observations is strongly preferred.
- Provides proper care and clean caging, diet, and drinking water to laboratory animals in assigned areas/rooms daily.
- Review environmental parameters, condition of animal rooms and equipment, and proper functioning of mechanical systems (e.g., HVAC, lighting, automatic drinking water, where appropriate) in assigned areas/rooms daily.
- Operates vivarium equipment as assigned.
- Observes animal behavior and health and reports any concerns to veterinary staff.
- Provides support for cage processing, including set-up and break-down for cleaning/disposal.
- Performs sanitization of work areas and performs general housekeeping duties.
- Participates in training and educational programs as required. In coordination with the Global Training team, may provide instruction to others on husbandry and technical procedures. Follows department SOPs, Company guidelines, external guidelines and regulations related to animal care and use. May assist with providing input for new or revised procedural documents.
- Works cooperatively with other employees in efforts to achieve individual and department goals.
- Assist VS or research personnel with handling, restraint, and weighing animals, and various technical duties including compound administration, clinical observations, and sample collection as needed.
- As directed and under the supervision of a veterinarian, may assist in the provision of daily clinical veterinary care (basic medical treatments, diagnostic and technical laboratory procedures) for stock and research animals and maintains appropriate documentation.
- Assists with ordering, receiving, and maintaining necessary lab supplies.
- Assists with shipment and receipt of animals.
- Maintains awareness of active research projects.
- Perform all other related duties, as assigned.
Pay Range: $32.74-$33.50/hr